Firefighters tackling the blaze on Harry Zeital Way. Photograph: London Fire Brigade.

Lea Bridge councillors will be calling a ward forum public meeting for residents affected by the fire that broke out in the Upper Clapton block overlooking Millfields Park on Monday night.

The fire, which took three hours to bring under control, destroyed the balconies from the ground to the fifth floor of the block in Harry Zeital Way, along with part of a flat on the fifth floor and a section of the roof.

Though no one was injured, fire fighters had to rescue one woman from the first floor of the building.

Cllr Ian Rathbone, speaking on behalf of Lea Bridge ward councillors, said: “We have spent yesterday with residents of Harry Zeital Way who have been resilient in the face of such a shock as the fire, helping and supporting one another.

“We have been listening to their views during the day about the situation and will be calling a ward forum public meeting in the next three weeks, for a discussion, and also inviting all the agencies concerned who we hope will be able to inform the residents’ discussion.

“The council’s team, the police and the fire brigade have done a wonderful job since Monday night.

“We are closely monitoring the situation and meeting with residents on Wednesday evening to make sure all their immediate needs are met and hear their views.

“All of the affected residents, including owner, occupiers and private tenants, have been provided with alternative accommodation last night.

“The fire service continued to be present at the scene until they were satisfied that there was no risk of fire reigniting.”

The London Fire Brigade (LBF) wrote in a tweet: “Our fire investigation team will be on the scene at the Hackney flat fire throughout today working to investigate the cause of this fire.”

Wayne Brown, Incident Commander of the LBF on the scene, tweeted: “Outstanding effort from crews, officers and control staff who took 70 calls to this incident.”

The cause of the fire is being investigated, with Hackney council supporting the investigations.

The Mayor of Hackney, Philip Glanville, said: “Our thoughts are with those who were evacuated, and we’re grateful to the London Fire Brigade, whose brave work meant no one was seriously hurt.

“The Council’s Emergency Planning team kept me informed and worked with the LFB overnight to make sure all residents in the block were safe.

“Most residents stayed with friends or family, but the Council set up a rest centre nearby for affected residents.

“I visited the block with local councillors and met with residents on site and at the rest centre.

“We remain in close contact with the LFB and the managers of the block, who I’m told are arranging temporary accommodation for those who need it. 

“We’re still waiting for confirmation from the MPS and LFB about when people will be able to return to their home and how many people will be displaced or for how long.

“It is too early to speculate on the causes of the fire, but we will work with all involved to support the investigation and any implications that may come from it.”

Four years previously, a fire engulfed another block in the same development, damaging a four bedroom flat on the second floor, as well as third, fourth and fifth floor balconies.

Support us


The coronavirus outbreak has meant that the Hackney Citizen has been unable to print a monthly newspaper for the last three months.

The need for quality news and reliable reporting is crucial - however, this is an increasingly challenging time for local journalism.

Our main source of income, print advertising revenue, fell suddenly - and so we are asking you, the readers, for your help.A one-off donation from anyone who can afford it will help our small team get our newspaper back in print and keep the website and social media feeds running through this unprecedented crisis.

Find out how you can donate.

Thanks in advance for your support, and stay safe.