Constantin Huber (left) shakes hands with a fire fighter during a visit to Homerton Fire Station. Photgraph: London Fire Brigade

Constantin Huber (left) shakes hands with a firefighter during a visit to Homerton Fire Station. Photograph: London Fire Brigade

A man who suffered 98 per cent burns in a horrific fire has thanked the fire crew who helped save his life.

Constantin Huber was filling up a mobile generator with petrol in the back of his van when the fumes exploded, engulfing him, his van and a shop front on Mare Street.

He spent months in a coma and then in recovery before being able to visit Homerton Fire Station alongside his carer, Ally, last month to thank the crew.

As far as his doctors are aware, he is the only person ever to survive 98 per cent full thickness burns.

His remarkable recovery was made possible by an experimental new medical technique used for dealing with severe burns.

Support us

The coronavirus outbreak meant that the Hackney Citizen was unable to print a monthly newspaper for three months.

We're grateful that we have since been able to resume printing. This would not have been possible without the generosity of our readers, whose donations kept the paper from disappearing completely at a distressing time for residents.

A huge thank you to everyone who gave their time and money to support us through the lockdown, and to those who continue to do so as we slowly recover from the dramatic fall in advertising revenues, on top of the existing challenges threatening the future of local journalism.

A one-off donation or a regular contribution from anyone who can afford it will help our small team keep the newspaper in print and the website running in the coming months and years.

Find out how you can donate.

Thank you for your support, and stay safe.

The Hackney Citizen team