Occupy London Old Street Magistrates Court

Ex-servicemen Occupy Veterans drove a ‘tank of ideas’ to the old courthouse last month. Photograph: Zoe Holloway

A group of protesters who took over the disused Old St Magistrates’ Courthouse in Shoreditch on 20 December have agreed to vacate the building by 23 January.

The camp, dubbed Occupy Justice, appeared in court on Tuesday 3 January to contest an application for a possession order made by Mastcraft Ltd., which has owned the Grade II-listed building since 2006.

After a day in court, an agreement was reached between the owners and the occupiers, with the occupiers deciding to hand back the building in just under three weeks.

Occupy Justice will ‘look after’ the empty courthouse until then. This was agreed to by the presiding judge.

The property currently remains closed to the public, as made clear by a note on the door that reads: “We’re busy cleaning and making the place beautiful, but will be very happy to welcome you all in soon!”

It is believed Mastcraft will begin redevelopment of the building when it returns to the firm’s control.

Despite the impending eviction, Occupy London is ‘pleased’ with the amicable outcome of the court case. A press statement by the Occupy movement said: “Occupy London would like to thank Mastcraft for having the imagination to work with us in giving this fine building a new lease of life – as well as perhaps the last ever trials to take place in the building – while it awaits redevelopment. “We hope this agreement will serve as a model for others to follow.”

With the future of the occupation of the courthouse at 335 Old Street secured for three weeks, the group plans to hold a series of ‘trials of the one per cent’, with a schedule of events to be released soon.

These will be mock trials of bankers and corporations accused of financial greed and tax avoidance. Cell doors underneath the courthouse have been adorned with the names of politicians and finance corporations.

Speaking immediately after the occupation began last month, protester Leon said: “Nick Clegg and David Cameron will be tried for not fulfilling campaign pledges and other offences. I hope Boris Johnson gets put on trial as well.”

Around 50 Occupy London protesters, including ex-servicemen group Occupy Veterans, drove a small tank – the ‘tank of ideas’ – to the former court on the morning of Tuesday 20 December. They were met with little resistance from police, who were at the time described as ‘sympathetic’, and no arrests were made.

Following this announcement, the total number of occupied London spaces will soon return to just three: the St Paul’s Cathedral camp, the Finsbury Square camp, and the Hackney occupation of the 800-room UBS building.

Eviction plans for these camps remain speculative, with no firm intention to vacate the properties.

For more more information go to twitter: @OccupyLondon and Occupy London.

Related:

Leader: Hackney Mayor’s cosy relationship with ‘Occupied’ investment bank UBS

Support us

The coronavirus outbreak meant that the Hackney Citizen was unable to print a monthly newspaper for three months.

We're grateful that we have since been able to resume printing. This would not have been possible without the generosity of our readers, whose donations kept the paper from disappearing completely at a distressing time for residents.

A huge thank you to everyone who gave their time and money to support us through the lockdown, and to those who continue to do so as we slowly recover from the dramatic fall in advertising revenues, on top of the existing challenges threatening the future of local journalism.

A one-off donation or a regular contribution from anyone who can afford it will help our small team keep the newspaper in print and the website running in the coming months and years.

Find out how you can donate.

Thank you for your support, and stay safe.

The Hackney Citizen team