Clapton Tram Sheds demonstration outside hackney Town Hall earlier this year

The tenants of Clapton’s historic tram sheds have been given a last minute reprieve after Hackney Council refused to give permission for a new development.

Last month the head of the council’s planning department decided not to allow a neighbouring council-owned community hall to be included in the project, thus derailing the scheme.

The move practically overturned the planning permission granted in June to site owner Sean Meadows to convert the tram complex in Upper Clapton Road into five new 5-7 storey buildings.

This was the third planning application for the site to be rejected.

“This last hub of small and bespoke manufacturers, artists, sculptors and art galleries in the north-east of Hackney with some 70 plus associated jobs now at least has a reprieve,” said David White, secretary of Beecholme and Casimir Tenants’ and Residents’ Association (TRA).

The TRA’s refusal to hand over their hall to the developer has played a large part in scuppering demolition.

“We are very thankful [to our] councillors Linda Kelly, Ian Rathbone and Deniz Oguzkanli,” added Mr White. “Since the planning committee’s [June] decision they [the councillors] found out that no permission had in fact been given to include the hall and fought to keep it for our use.”

Representatives of Mr Meadows’ development vehicle Upper Clapton LLP were not immediately available for comment. A council spokesperson said: “There are clearly some very complicated issues surrounding this planning application and we need to look at this in further detail before we can comment.”

Note: this story was amended 10.50am Thursday 9 September 2010

Related stories:

Tram shed campaigners fight on

Residents continue fight to save Clapton Tram Sheds

Clapton Tram Sheds under threat

Support us

The coronavirus outbreak meant that the Hackney Citizen was unable to print a monthly newspaper for three months.

We're grateful that we have since been able to resume printing. This would not have been possible without the generosity of our readers, whose donations kept the paper from disappearing completely at a distressing time for residents.

A huge thank you to everyone who gave their time and money to support us through the lockdown, and to those who continue to do so as we slowly recover from the dramatic fall in advertising revenues, on top of the existing challenges threatening the future of local journalism.

A one-off donation or a regular contribution from anyone who can afford it will help our small team keep the newspaper in print and the website running in the coming months and years.

Find out how you can donate.

Thank you for your support, and stay safe.

The Hackney Citizen team