Constantin Huber (left) shakes hands with a fire fighter during a visit to Homerton Fire Station. Photgraph: London Fire Brigade

Constantin Huber (left) shakes hands with a firefighter during a visit to Homerton Fire Station. Photograph: London Fire Brigade

A man who suffered 98 per cent burns in a horrific fire has thanked the fire crew who helped save his life.

Constantin Huber was filling up a mobile generator with petrol in the back of his van when the fumes exploded, engulfing him, his van and a shop front on Mare Street.

He spent months in a coma and then in recovery before being able to visit Homerton Fire Station alongside his carer, Ally, last month to thank the crew.

As far as his doctors are aware, he is the only person ever to survive 98 per cent full thickness burns.

His remarkable recovery was made possible by an experimental new medical technique used for dealing with severe burns.

Support us

The coronavirus outbreak has meant that the Hackney Citizen has been unable to print a monthly newspaper for the last three months.

The need for quality news and reliable reporting is crucial - however, this is an increasingly challenging time for local journalism.

Our main source of income, print advertising revenue, fell suddenly - and so we are asking you, the readers, for your help.A one-off donation from anyone who can afford it will help our small team get our newspaper back in print and keep the website and social media feeds running through this unprecedented crisis.

Find out how you can donate.

Thanks in advance for your support, and stay safe.